Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
The Step2CK Test Prep Series was created by fourth-year students at the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock as a project of the fourth-year geriatrics rotation. It was developed as part of the Reynolds Geriatrics Podcast series, which is supported by an Aging and Quality of Life grant from the D.W. Reynolds Foundation. The episodes in this series are based on questions that have geriatrics content and patient vignettes from the 2010 Step 2CK Sample Exam.
This episode is based on Question 14 on page 26 of the 2010 Step 2CK Sample Exam.
Learning Objectives: the third-year medical student studying for the Step2CK exam should be able to:
- Form a differential diagnosis for dyslipidemia in a post-menopausal woman.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- Discuss the side effects of estrogen replacement therapy, especially in elderly population.
- Explain the effects of diabetes mellitus on the lipid profile.
- Describe the role of estrogen on an individual's lipid profile.
- Describe the effect of thiazide diuretic therapy on elderly patients' lipid profile.
For more information on the series, go to http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseries/gerstep2ckprep.aspx.