Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
The Step2CK Test Prep Series was created by fourth-year students at the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock as a project of the fourth-year geriatrics rotation. It was developed as part of the Reynolds Geriatrics Podcast series, which is supported by an Aging and Quality of Life grant from the D.W. Reynolds Foundation. The episodes in this series are based on questions that have geriatrics content and patient vignettes from the 2010 Step 2CK Sample Exam.
For more information on the series, go to http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseries/gerstep2ckprep.aspx.
This episode is based on Question 73 on page 50 of the 2010 Step 2CK Sample Exam.
Learning Objectives - the third year medical student studying for the Step 2CK exam should be able to:
- Describe the changes in drug pharmacokinetics that typically occur with aging,
- Understand the risks and benefits associated with prescribing digoxin in association with other drugs,
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of digoxin toxicity as well as how to manage digoxin toxicity,
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of lacunar cerebral infarctions anhd subacute meningitis,
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism and the most common cause of hyperthyroidism in the elderly,
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and the most common cause of recurrent hypoglycemia,
- Describe the side effects of sulfonylurea oral hypoglycemics.