Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
The Step2CK Test Prep Series was created by fourth-year students at the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock as a project of the fourth-year geriatrics rotation. It was developed as part of the Reynolds Geriatrics Podcast series, which is supported by an Aging and Quality of Life grant from the D.W. Reynolds Foundation. The episodes in this series are based on questions that have geriatrics content and patient vignettes from the 2010 Step 2CK Sample Exam.
This episode is based on Question 88 on page 57 of the 2010 Step2CK Sample Exam.
Learning Objectives: the third-year medical student studying for the Step2CK exam should be able to:
- Differentiate between the presentations of various types of dementia
- Understand the differences between delirium, dementia, and age associated cognitive impairment in the elderly
- Be familiar with several diagnostic tools/algorithms that will help a physician assess the mental staus of an elderly patient
- Describe the course of Alzheimer's type dementia
- Understand basic principles of medical therapy for Alzheimer's type dementia
For more information on the series, go to http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseri....