Get published in the Journal of the American Geriatric Society!
The Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS) is publishing POGOe educational materials reviews in the Education and Training section. We are looking for reviewers to write and submit these articles. The reviews should be comprehensive, discussing a series of POGOe materials or comparing and contrasting a few similar materials. The articles will be peer-reviewed, and can be cited on your CV. This can be a way to advance your career with a scholarly publication based on the work you are already doing while browsing the POGOe library.
- Select a series, or a couple of educational materials from the POGOe library that peak your interest and are within their area of expertise. Alternatively, we could make a couple of suggestions based on the your interests.
- Include any available data that supports the effectiveness of the teaching tool being reviewed.
- Follow the submission template.
- All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once your submission is received, it will be reviewed by the POGOe editorial group, who will suggest revisions if necessary.
- After a final draft has been approved, the editorial group will submit the review on your behalf to the Education and Training section of JAGS.
- From there on all communication will be between you and JAGS.
Three POGOe Educational Materials presented in this review showcase pearls of medication management for medical and other professional students in novel learning formats that can be administered without major prior preparation. The review, authored by Ravishankar Ramaswamy in the September 2013 issue of JAGS, compares and contrasts the materials in descriptive and tabular formats to enable its appropriate use by educators in promoting self-learning or group learning among their learners.[Ramaswamy, R. (2013, September). How to Teach Medication Management: A Review of Novel Educational Materials in Geriatrics. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 61, 1598–1601. doi: 10.1111/j.1598–1601.2013.x]
A new POGOe product review has been published in the June 2012 issue of JAGS, in which Lionel Lim, Karthikeyan Kandavelou and Nabeela Khan compare two series of products addressing issues in palliative and hospice medicine.[Lim, L. S., Kandavelou, K. and Khan, N. (2012, June). Palliative Care Teaching in Medical Residency: A Review of Two POGOe Teaching Products. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60, 1141-1144. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.03964.x]
In the January 2012 issue of JAGS, Timothy Farrell reviewed the POGOe product 'Depression in the Elderly - Simulated Patient Small Group Activity'. This activity teaches knowledge and skills regarding the assessment and management of geriatric depression to second-year medical students. Read his review and find out if this product will fit within your own curriculum.[Farrell, T. W. (2012, January). Review of "Depression in the Elderly - Simulated Patient Small Group Activity". Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60, 142-144. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03760.x]
In the December 2011 issue of JAGS, Timothy Farrell reviewed the POGOe product Geriatric Health Literacy Workshop for Medical Students and Residents. The product introduces medical students and residents to important concepts in communicating with older adults with low health literacy through a variety of teaching modalities.[Farrell, T. W. (2011, December). Review of a Geriatric Health Literacy Workshop for Medical Students and Residents. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 59, 2347-2349. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03720.x]
In the December 2010 issue of JAGS, Dallas Nelson and Annette Medina-Walpole reviewed the POGOe series Elder Care: A Resource for Interprofessional Providers. The series provides a brief, yet concise overview of various topics in geriatric medicine using an evidence-based approach.[Nelson, D. and Medina-Walpole, A. (2010, December). Elder Care Provider Fact Sheets. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58, 2414-2415. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03135.x]
The December 2010 issue of JAGS also contains a new POGOe product review by Manuel Eskildsen. The article covers a web module designed to train medical residents in the delivery of optimal care to patients by helping them navigate the complex maze of health care resources, making transitions of care more seamless.[Eskildsen, M. A. (2010, December). Review of Web-Based Module to Train and Assess Competency in Systems-Based Practice. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58, 2412-2413. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03167.x]
A new POGOe product review has been published in the October 2010 issue of JAGS, in which Suzanne Gillespie and Annette Medina-Walpole compare two products for medical students that incorporate geriatrics in the anatomy laboratory. [Gillespie, S. M. and Medina-Walpole, A. (2010, October). Teaching Undergraduate Geriatrics in the Anatomy Laboratory.Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58, 2000-2002. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03073.x]
From September 2010, Review: Women's Health Module by Kathryn E. Callahan, discusses Product #18392 – a web module from Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine that contains a detailed case study. [Callahan, K. E. (2010, September). Review: Women's Health Module.Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58, 1786-1787. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03027.x]
Also in September 2010, Review: Health Care Decision-Making WebCT Module for Medical Students by Carol L. Howe, discusses Product #18483 – a web module for 3rd year medical students created at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine.[Howe, C. L. (2010, September). Review: Health Care Decision-Making WebCT Module for Medical Students. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58, 1788-1790. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03026.x]
- [Glass, A. P. and Butler, D. Q. (2010, January). Health Literacy and Older Adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58: 152-153. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02627.x]
- [Cumbler, E. (2009, October), Curriculum for the Hospitalized Aging Medical Patient Review. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57, 1915–1916. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02451.x]
- [Ruiz, J. G. and Leipzig, R. M. (2008, January), GeriaSims: Falls Module. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 56, 130–131. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01480.x]