The Step2CK Test Prep Series was created by fourth-year students at the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock as a project of the fourth-year geriatrics rotation. It was developed as part of the Reynolds Geriatrics Podcast series, which is supported by an Aging and Quality of Life grant from the D.W. Reynolds Foundation. The episodes in this series are based on questions that have geriatrics content and patient vignettes from the 2010 Step 2CK Sample Exam.
This episode is based on Question 100 on page 61 of the 2010 Step2CK Sample Exam.
Learning Objectives: the third-year medical student studying for the Step 2CK exam should be able to:
- Understand what leukemia is and the cells affected
- Differentiate between an acute and a chronic leukemia
- Differentiate between a lymphocytic and myeloid leukemia
- Know the main ages affected by the different types of leukemias
- Understand what a leukemoid reaction is and how it is different from a leukemia