Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
The Step1 Test Prep Series was created by second-year students at the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock as a project of the MS2 Aging Block of Systems Disorders II. It was developed as part of the Reynolds Geriatrics Podcast series, which is supported in part by an Aging and Quality of Life grant from the D.W. Reynolds Foundation.
The second-year medical student studying for the Step 1 exam should be able to:
- Define giant-cell arteritis
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of giant-cell arteritis (also called temporal arteritis)
- Recognize that temporal arteritis can lead to monocular blindness
- Identify the histopathological changes seen in a biopsy of a vessel with giant-cell arteritis
- Identify the effective treatment for giant-cell arteritis
The episodes in this series are based on questions that have geriatrics content and patient vignettes from the 2011 Step1 Sample Exam, available from http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseries/gerstep1prep.aspx.