Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
The Step2CK Test Prep Series was created by fourth-year students at the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock as a project of the fourth-year geriatrics rotation. It was developed as part of the Reynolds Geriatric Podcast series, which is supported by an Aging and Quality of Life grant from the D.W. Reynolds Foundation. The episodes in this series are based on questions that have geriatrics content and patient vignettes from the 2009 Step 2CK Sample Exam. For more information on the series, go to http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseri...
This episode is based on Question 35 on page 34 of the 2009 Step2CK Sample Exam.
Learning Objectives: the third-year medical student studying for the Step2CK exam should be able to:
- Describe the epidemiology of Multiple Myeloma
- List the most common presenting symptoms associated with Multiple Myeloma
- Briefly describe the pathophysiology of disease in Multiple Myeloma
- Describe the appropriate workup for Multiple Myeloma
- List the characteristic lab findings associated with Multiple Myeloma
- Discuss the current options for treatment of Multiple Myeloma
- Discuss the staging of Multiple Myeloma and the associated prognoses