Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
The Step2CK Test Prep Series was created by fourth-year students at the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock as a project of the fourth-year geriatrics rotation. It was developed as part of the Reynolds Geriatrics Podcast series, which is supported in part by an Aging and Quality of Life grant from the D.W. Reynolds Foundation. The episodes in this series are based on questions that have geriatrics content and patient vignettes from the 2008 Step2CK Sample Exam, available from http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseri.... For more information on the series, go to http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseri....
This episode is based on Question 26 on page 29 of the 2008 Step2CK Sample Exam.
Learning Objectives: the third-year medical student studying for the Step2CK exam should be able to recognize common causes of renal failure in geriatric patients and determine appropriate steps in treatment, including:
- List the side of effects of indomethacin
- Identify indications for a thiazide diruetic
- Describe the link between renal failure and multiple myeloma
- Determine appropriate reasons for measuring urine sodium and creatinine concentrations
- Identify pertinent indications for ultrasonography