Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
The Step2CK Test Prep Series was created by fourth-year students at the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock as a project of the fourth-year geriatrics rotation. It was developed as part of the Reynolds Geriatrics Podcast series, which is supported in part by an Aging and Quality of Life grant from the D.W. Reynolds Foundation. The episodes in this series are based on questions that have geriatrics content and patient vignettes from the 2008 Step2CK Sample Exam, available from http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseri.... For more information on the series, go to http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseri....
This episode is based on Question 38 on page 35 of the 2008 Step2CK Sample Exam.
Learning Objectives: the third-year medical student studying for the Step2CK exam should be able to:
- Understand the difference between autonomy and beneficence
- Know the importance and legal requirements for informed consent for treatment
- Recognize the ethical dilemma in patient's refusal of medical treatment
- Be able to determine a patient's decision-making capacity
- Realize the importance to advocate at all times the interests of one's patient over one's own interests